Tofu Chik’n Parm ❗️❗️❗️
Spencer’s pre vegan meal of choice was a chicken parm sandwich so I decide to try and make my own version in his honor. Are you bready for this?
• 1 block extra firm tofu (I used @sandiegosoydairy it is the firmest and most delicious tofu I ever had. Spending $1 more on a quality, locally made product is worth it! *Something I have to remind my frugal self sometimes*)
• 1/2 cup bread crumbs
• 1/2 cup cashews (raw or roasted fine)
• 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
• salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
• 1/2 tsp oregano
• 1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce
• oil for cooking (I used olive)
1.) Preheat your oven to 400° F
2.) In a blender combine: cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Pulse until small crumbs form (like parm cheese)**
3.) Add bread crumbs & oregano into the blender and lightly pulse to combine everything. Pour crumbs onto a plate
4.) Cut a block of tofu widthwise into 4 1/4 inch thick sheets
5.) Coat tofu sheets with crumb mixture on both sides (make sure your tofu is a bit wet when you do this so the crumbs stick)
6.) add oil to a pan on your stove over medium heat and lightly fry each tofu piece on each side for several minutes
7.) Coat the bottom of an 8×8 or 9×13 baking dish with sauce. Place tofu in sauce and cover with more sauce. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
8.) Cook your pasta in the meantime, and serve tofu chik’n parm over it with more sauce, or in a sandwich! I put mine over some pesto shells b.c I’m a pesto fanatic (pesto over red sauce any day. Don’t come for me). Enjoy!!
**I didn’t have any vegan cheese on hand so I improvised with a little homemade recipe but if you’ve got vegan parm on hand you can just add that to your bread crumbs and save yourself even more time on this already quick recipe:)